Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Two weeks later.......

I've started a post several times but something always happens. Hopefully, I'll get this one in. 

Let's start with what I've been up to for the last 2 weeks.  
I attended the WSO Sheboygan field trip where I picked up several species of ducks for the year and finally added Harlequin Duck to my USA list!  Also had a few Glaucous Gulls and 3 Red-throated Loons. 

Fast forward, I birded Columbia County with one of my friends. We quickly discovered that Okee Bay on Lake Wisconsin is an excellent Gull spot right now.  we picked up 6 species of gulls including two of my nemesis gulls.  Iceland and Thayer's!! We also had 3 Lesser Black-backed Gulls among all the Ring-billed and Herring Gulls. We had found a Bonaparte's earlier in the day along with all 5 WI Geese in one field. 

Jump to this past Sat, I and some friends attended the WSO Columbia county trip.  It was a fun trip.  Had about 30 cars in the caravan.  We found all 5 WI Geese and my year American Pipit! 
I had to cut out early, but managed to get back to Okee Bay later in the afternoon where I managed to find my 7th species of Gull for the day!!  I had 1st cycle Iceland, 1st cycle and adult Thayer's, 2nd cycle Glaucous, adult Lesser Black-backed, Ring-billed and Herring all within 5 minutes of each other.  A single winter adult Bonaparte's from earlier in the day provided 7 gulls for the day.  

Had a Richland County Bird and Nature club field trip yesterday. We found a bunch of Ducks at Bakken's pond and both Yellowlegs together.  

Otherwise, nothing too spectacular going on right now.  I've been working on finding a car. Not easy let me tell you. I found a pretty nice Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, but it had some engine problem. Actually thought it was going to die on me once. Not good for a trip to AZ. 
Next! 

Anyway, til next time, Happy Birding! 

No comments: