Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Going home



I'm currently sitting in Bush international in Houston waiting for my flight which leaves at 3:45. I had a fun week on the TX coast. Even though, the last couple days have been really slow. I was kinda down yesterday when nothing showed up. Ever birding to the last, I added 2 new species to my year list. Rose-breasted Grosbeak and Cliff Swallow. I'll be posting a full trip report and the rest of my pictures when I get home.

It was a fun trip and I got to meet many fun people. Many thanks to Iain Campbell of Tropical Birding for letting me stay at the Tropical Birding house in High Island. Also kudos to Sam Woods, Moez Ali and Nick Athanos for being excellent guides and for being fun companions.

I totaled out at 146 species for the trip. The highlight species being: Buff-bellied Hummingbird (lifer #400), Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (finally, after all those drives through Texas and Oklahoma), Eared Grebe (a suprise number 399) and Long-billed Curlew (a bird that I've always wanted to see). Some other highlights are: Breaking 400 life birds, finding not one, but 3 Scissor-tailed Flycatchers, totaling over 200 species for the year and seeing a Barn Owl not once, but several times including a flyover and flyby last night.

The worst part of the trip? missing a lifer Painted Bunting by 45 mins.

Anyway, gotta go. Happy Birding!

No comments: