Monday, March 24, 2008

High Island update

So the question is, what is High Island known for?

It's known for it's fantastic migrant fallouts. What happens when there's no fallout for a long time? Things get boring! Yea, I've seen almost every resident species within a 45 min drive of HIgh Island. I've been to every birding spot in the area. The only birds around are the resident and wintering species. That's about 150 species. Not bad for a small area but when Long-billed Curlew and Inca Dove start to get boring, you know it's time to find something else to look at. When you start looking at Butterflies and and Crested Caracara and shorebirds start to get boring, you know it's time to go home. Today is my last full day on the Texas coast here in the warm tropical weather and I don't know what to do. There aren't really any more new birds and I've been everywhere a few times.... I need something new. Unfortunately, all I have to look forward to when I go home is snow, cold and even fewer birds. I did get one new year bird today, a pair of flyover Franklin's Gulls. That is all.

Yesterday, I added Ruddy Turnstone and Western Sandpiper to my year list. I expect my year list is up around 200 something now. That's pretty good considering I have very few warblers and passerines.

Anyway, if something new doesn't show up today, I'll be about ready to go home. I'm just about birded out.
That is all.

No comments: