Saturday, April 18, 2009

Black-necked Stilt!!

Talk about a week for Rarities!  Sage Thrasher, Sinaloa Wren, Golden-crowned Sparrow and now 2 Black-necked Stilts at Horicon Marsh!!  

One small difference with this report though. It's not coming to you second hand!  I have seen the Horicon Stilts myself! With my own two eyes.  I'll be posting photos later. 

Between Orchestra and my lesson today, I checked my messages and saw a 3rdhand report of 2 Black-necked Stilts along Hwy 49 at Horicon Marsh.  Fortunately, someone else found the birds so the report was 1st hand.  After my lesson, I ran up to Horicon. I ran into Peter Fissel on Hwy 49 and we searched for the birds for a while.  Then Peter thought that perhaps they were back at the old location they were seen at last year. So we ran down there. Old Dike Rd at Horicon Marsh.  We drove up and Jeff Bahls had the birds in his scope.  It was that easy!  

Awesome new state bird!  Also added several new year birds today as well. 

Ok, I know, the english on this post sucks. but it's late and i'm beat. i'll fix it later. 

G'night. 

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Very cool about all these rarities! That's awesome you saw a Black-necked Stilt. I still haven't seen one in the wild yet. xD One day!

I'll look forward to seeing the pics!

Ali Iyoob said...

Wow, that is great. I have seen them in Hawaii, but not in the continental USA. Post the pictures soon!

Anonymous said...

7-9-11 I saw a Black-necked stilt on Old Marsh Road at Horicon Marsh today! My husband almost didn't believe me, but it was unmistakable. I was as surprised as you were to see them there!!