Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Hawk day in October and a RBNH

The forecast for today was sunny with West winds. I figured with all the rain there should be some hawks backed up. I was right.
I checked three different points on the ridge, staying at each point for approx 30 min. I spent 15 min counting every hawk I could see and spent the other 15 min observing and counting any new Hawks (Buteo, Accipiter, Eagle) or species that flew by. I tried my best to not count a bird twice.

After two hours, I came out with 6 species of raptors and 11 other species.

Red-Tailed Hawk.............16
Cooper's Hawk................5
Sharp-shinned Hawk.......1
Bald Eagle.......................1
Rough-legged Hawk.......1
Turkey Vulture................2

The heat waves made ID difficult.
Unknown raptor.............12
Unknown Hawk.............10
Unknown Accipiter........1
Unknown Buteo............1

25 Crows
Pileated Woodpecker
Downy WP
Red-Bellied WP
E Bluebird
Goldfinch
Junco
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Blue Jay
RED-Breasted Nuthatch
WHITE-Breasted Nuthatch
Gr Blue Heron

It's definately not Hawk Ridge but I think that's pretty good for Richland County.
The RED-breasted Nuthatch was quite a suprise. That makes my second one of the season.

No comments: