Thursday, October 4, 2007

The Juncos have arrived.

It was an interesting morning yesterday. The warbler numbers of early last week have dropped by almost 100%.
I found only one species. A lone Magnolia. The late fall migrants are starting to pick up. I heard one report of Lapland Longspurs by Stevens point already. Anyway, here's what I found:

Magnolia Warbler
Blue-headed vireo
White-throated Sparrow
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Golden-crowned Kinglet
DE Junco
Chickadee
Blue Jay
Song sparrow
Barred Owl
Lincoln's sparrow
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker

Golden-crowned Kinglet was a new bird for the season as was the Lincoln's sparrow.
The oldtimers say that you can expect snow 10-12 days after you see the first Junco of the season. We'll see if that holds.
The temp is supposed to be warm this weekend but may crash dive next week.

1 comment:

Birdfreak.com said...

It's been so warm around here that I can't believe snow could be possible!

I saw my first junco today. (We are in northern Illinois) I also saw a couple American Redstarts and a Nashville Warbler.

Migration is slowing down...bring on the snow!

Good birding to you!