Friday, November 2, 2007

Winter is coming.



Winter is on it's way.
Snow is in the forecast next week. Only a 20% chance but still, snow.
most of the leaves have fallen from the trees. The birds have flown south. I wish I could join them.
Not that I don't like winter, it has it's charm. Snow, Skiing, winter finches, shrikes, owls, all these thing are fun to see. Still, it's cold. Too cold. If I had my way, I'd leave Jan 1 and return as the birds come back in the spring. Alas, I cannot do this. Besides, there's too much fun to be had in the winter. looking for late birds, state rarities, IDing all the gulls that fly by looking for the odd one out. Then there's the thrill of seeing the summer birds as they return. being the first to find a particular species, spending every day from late march to June, from 4:30am to 8:00 looking for new arrivals. Yes, Spring is one of my favorite times of the year. Also in spring, along with the influx of arrivals, comes Big days. How many birds can you find in 24 hours?
up until recently, I was sure that Richland County could produce close to if match 200 species in 24 hours. Alas, the millpond is gone and with it, my certainty. Waterbirds will now become harder and shorebirds will be virtually impossible. If it's a wet spring, flooded fields may produce something. It's all hit or miss though. no spot is reliable anymore. We can only hope. in the meantime, I have an essay to finish so that I can join the ABA/Leica Tropicbirds team for a third year in a row. Next year is Texas though. I expect to raise my list to 450 or more. Here's hoping.

No comments: