Sunday, May 4, 2008

Birthday birding



Well, I just turned 18 on Fri!! It'll make flying a lot easier now.

Anyway, I woke up on Fri morning and it was pouring rain and threatening severe thunderstorms. I decided to forego my annual trip to Wyalusing SP but, I did go birding anyway.

I did receive my first present of the day before I left. It was an adapter for my camera! Now I don't have to hold the camera up to the scope. The adapter does it for me. Naturally, I had to test it out right away:




Then, my Dad and I went over to the park and found both Waterthrush, Solitary and Spotted Sandpipers and Yellow, Palm and Yellow-rumped Warblers. Then, we ran down to Crossover Rd in south central Richland county where I managed to find where the shorebirds were hanging out.  Present were: Willets (a new state bird for me!!) Both Yellowlegs and Pectoral Sandpipers.  Also present was a single Am Pipit! Another new state bird! 


Then, after lunch and after waiting for a storm cell to pass over, Mom and I ran down to the intersection of Pearl Rd and County G in Sauk county where I had discovered the "Lake":


I found some great birds hanging out in this field.  Pectoral, Semipalmated, Spotted and Baird's Sandpipers, both Yellowlegs.  Ducks present were: N Shoveler, Blue-winged Teal and Mallards. I also found 2 Sandhill Cranes, Ring-billed Gulls.  


Then, we hopped over to Bakken's pond where I found this Green Heron:


Along with a pair of Osprey. The first 2 I've seen there.   

Then a storm cell hit us square.  We called it quits for the day. 

2 comments:

Jochen said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Andrea said...

Happy birthday! What great presents you got -- both the camera adapter and the new birds you saw! :-)