Today I have 2 separate quizzes designed to test your knowledge of Latin names.
Post your answers in the comments section. Good Luck!
Below are 10 names. Each in Latin and in English. Match the Latin name to the common name.
Here's the catch, 2 of the names don't have a match. Have Fun!
1. Charadrius alexandrinus A. White-rumped Sandpiper
2. Larus dominicanus B. Yellow-rumped Warbler
3. Columbina passerina C. Snowy Plover
4. Calidris fuscicollis D. Boreal Owl
5. Dendroica coronata E. Common Ground-Dove
6. Aegolius funereus F. Kelp Gull
7. Myiarchus crinitus G. Marsh Wren
8. Cistothorus palustris H. Great-crested Flycatcher
9. Peucedramus taeniatus I. Botteri's Sparrow
10. Nyctidromus albicollis J. Olive Warbler
Here are ten Common names. Below them is the literal English translation of their Latin name. Match the translation to the common name.
2. Common Redpoll
3. Red-throated Loon
4. Northern Gannet
5. White-necked Petrel
6. Violet-green Swallow
7. Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
8. Tennesee Warbler
9. Harris's Sparrow
Literal Latin name translations:
A. "The seabird who is covered with stars"
B. "The stupid one of Bass Rock"
C. "The swift mover who resembles the sea in color"
D. "The banded thrush who is always full of complaints"
E. "The foreign worm-eater"
F. "The absolute ruler who possesses scissors"
G. "The White-collared Wing runner"
H. "The Rustic falcon of the farm"
I. "The Long-clawed Rice eater"
J. "The Goldfinch of Flame"
Hope you have fun and Good luck! I'll post the answer in about a week.
Today's Blog of the Day is:
Why? Refer to one of his posts here