Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Loony days

After a Pacific Loon was found on Lake Mendota in Madison yesterday and refound today, I decided I needed to try for it.  I had found a similar looking bird this past Sat when I was checking the lakes around Madison and wanted to make certain of my ID. 


This is what the lake mostly looked like.

There were several large rafts of Bufflehead present along with Canada Geese and Mallards. 
I saw 8 Loons. All Common. I did have one candidate for Pacific, but it was so far out on the lake and there was so much distortion from heat waves, that the bird was unidentifiable to species. The GISS looked good for PALO though. 

I still think the Loon I saw on Sat on Lake Monona could have been a Pacific. 

Today's Blog of the Day:
The blogger is Bill Mueller. He's an ornithologist and writer from Milwaukee WI. 
His latest post is about fluctuations in Redpoll populations

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Wow, that's quite a lot of loons you saw! Too bad you couldn't find the Pacific Loon though. Anywho, you're pictures are great, as always!

Happy birding!